Green Chile Mac & Cheese
A southwest flare to your everyday macaroni and cheese
1. Preheat your Carbon oven with top and bottom burner set to low for 15-20 minutes.
2. Cook the pasta one minute shy of al dente according to the package instructions. Remove from heat, drain, and place in a large bowl.
3. Melt butter in a deep saucepan, or stockpot.
4. Whisk in flour over medium heat and continue whisking for about 1 minute until bubbly and golden.
5. Gradually whisk in the milk and heavy cream until nice and smooth. Continue whisking until you see bubbles on the surface and then continue cooking and whisking for another 2 minutes. Whisk in salt and pepper.
6. Add half the shredded cheese and whisk until smooth. Add remaining cheese and serrano peppers and continue whisking until creamy and smooth. Sauce should be nice and thick.
7. Stir in the cooled pasta until combined and pasta is fully coated with the cheese sauce.
8. In a small bowl, combine panko crumbs, and melted butter. Set aside.
9. Divide the mac and cheese into miniature 6" cast-iron skillets. Top with shredded cheese and more chiles (if desired).
10. Slide in your skillets (2 at a time) into the Carbon Oven and continue to rotate for 2 minutes until bubbly and light golden brown.
11. Remove skillets from Carbon oven and sprinkle the top with panko breadcrumbs and return to oven for another minute until the tops are golden and crispy.
Salt and pepper to taste